Thursday, October 12, 2006

Lost: My Golf Game

Lost: My Golf Game

If Found, please email IGolfBad@Gmail.com..."I've learned that an Executive Course is a course that has mostly par threes, a few par fours, and is over priced" -- Bad Golfer

So a few days ago I made a post titled A Snowman's Not So Bad After All. Turns out I was right.

Today I got to leave work a little earily, so I thought I'd play a quick nine at the "Executive Course" down the street from my house. The last three times I've played this course I've scored a 37 (par is 29). Today I was bound and determined to score lower than 37. Dare I think I could actually score a 35?


I got paired up with a couple of other golfers and started off terrible. I shot a six on the par-three first, and then went bogey-bogey on the second and third. So coming up to the 125 yard par-three forth, I figured I was in pretty good shape if I could just get it on the green.

But something happened. First, the excuse. As I mentioned I rushed to the course from work, I still had my work shirt on and it was tucked in, tight. I could feel it pull on my back swing. But hell, this was just a little 125 yard nine-iron. That shouldn't bother me. Now, the shot: forty five degrees to the right. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't on the next fairway, it was on the fairway beyond the next fairway. But still, it should have been an easy chip shot to the green. Wrong! The chip shot when over the green. Then two more chip shots over the green and I finally found the soft stuff laying five. At this point I was so flustered, I four putted. That's right, I took a nine and a par-three 125 yard hole.

The guys I was playing with felt so sorry for me they marked it down as a seven. At the end of the round when we were adding up our score, they had me a 44. "But you only gave me a seven on the fourth," I said.

"Ok," said the old guy, "You can have two more strokes if you want them."

I took 'em.

So, my last four nine-hole rounds have been: 37, 37, 37 (on the par 29 course), 45 on a difficult par 36 "real" course, and then a 46 on this par 29 course. How's that for consistancy?!?

Cheers!

Rob

2 comments:

John Burzynski said...

I have taken a 7 before on a par 3 113 yard 8th on the 9-hole course near me (on a hole I usually birdie or par). It is just one of those things...just pand m.

BTW, our 9 hole course is a par 29 too. It is an old course, almost 100 years old, beautiful really, old oaks and well kept grounds. A great place to take the kids or to get in a quick round.

Chiemsee Hotel said...

Free Online courses are of various shapes, some copy versions "arcade" style of play, as you may have met on personal computers at the beginning, played "on the fly" for a few Quick nostalgic fun arcade golf. Others use the latest technologies to proliferate to the extent possible, the physical game of golf has very accurate simulations of the problems on a real golf course. Such as wind speed and variable management combined with the ballistic characteristics of the different types of golf clubs and the very important "ground" that the gradients of the green.